Auto Accident FAQ

auto-accident-lawyer-mckinney-TexasIf you have been involved in an auto accident, chances are you have a lot of questions about the legal process. As a Texas law firm serving people throughout McKinney, Denton, Richardson, Plano, Frisco, and surrounding areas, our attorneys are here to help ensure you understand your case and legal rights.

Below you will find information on some of the most commonly asked questions regarding auto accidents. However, we recommend that you contact a lawyer from Wormington & Bollinger for a free consultation and to go over your particular legal case in more depth. If you cannot find an answer to a question you are looking for on this page or would like to set up an appointment, please contact us for more information.

Q: What do I do if I am involved in an auto accident?

A: If you have been involved in an auto accident in McKinney or in a surrounding area, it is important for you not to leave the scene. You should contact local authorities immediately, especially an ambulance if someone has been injured. Once you have spoken with the police and filed an accident report, you should be sure to collect the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses or others involved in the accident. Taking photographs may also benefit you down the line. Once the police have arrived, it is important for you to cooperate with them but to avoid taking blame or making any accusations.

Q: When should I contact a lawyer?

A: You should contact a lawyer as soon as possible after an auto accident. If someone involved in the accident was seriously injured or even sustained injuries resulting in death, it is extremely important for you to retain the services of an attorney very quickly. In many cases, evidence can disappear, witnesses may move, memories grow dim, and the ability to prove your case may become far more difficult.

If you have sustained injuries and are being treated by a medical professional, one of our attorneys may also be able to provide you with guidance regarding your medical care. An attorney may also be able to help you deal with unpaid medical bills or bills that are piling up. Obtaining legal advice from a knowledgeable attorney from our Texas firm can also help you understand the logistics of filing a claim, your insurance policy’s terms, as well as answering any other questions you may have.

Q: What do I do if the other driver doesn’t have insurance?

A: If you are involved in a car accident with an uninsured motorist, you may be able to seek compensation from your own insurance company. It should be noted that if you do not have an underinsured or uninsured motorist (UM or UIM) policy, your only option for legal action is to sue the other driver.

Q: What actions should I take if the other driver’s insurance policy company contacts me?

A: If you are contacted by the other driver’s insurance company, you are in no way obligated to speak with them. You should politely decline to speak with them and give them your lawyer’s contact information. It is extremely important that you do not provide the other driver’s insurance company with any information, as they may try to use this against you and make your case far more difficult to pursue.

Q: When should I seek medical attention after an accident?

A: If you have been involved in an auto accident, you should also seek medical attention just to be safe, Many times injuries sustained during an auto accident are not immediately recognizable, which is why it is very important for you to schedule an appointment with your physician as soon as possible. While you may feel fine right after the accident, you may be suffering from internal injuries that will come to fruition days or even weeks after the accident. When you see your physician, make sure you mention any soreness or other complaints you may have, regardless of how minor.

Q: What about the medical bills?

A: In the event you have been injured in an auto accident and require medical attention, the liable insurance company would ideally be who pays your medical bills. However, insurance companies oftentimes dispute liability and it can be difficult to get an insurance company to pay your bills right away. Because of this, it may be a good idea to have your health insurance pay your medical bills upfront and seek reimbursement from the liable insurance company.

Q: What is my case worth?

A: The value of a personal injury case varies from case-to-case and takes into consideration many different factors. Some factors may include the amount of medical expense, loss of wages, damages, scarring, permanent physical impairment, amount of insurance coverage, and so on. Because cases vary and the amount of compensation cannot be determined easily, it is important for you to contact an attorney from Wormington & Bollinger if you have been involved in a serious auto accident.

Wormington & Bollinger is a Texas law firm who represents clients through McKinney, Denton, Richardson, Plano, Frisco and the the surrounding Texas area. If you have been seriously injured in an auto accident and are interested in pursuing legal action, we can help. If you have any questions beyond those we have answered above or would like to set up a free consultation, please contact our law firm today.